Friday, February 6, 2015

Blog 14: Independant Component 1


  • Literal                                                                                                     
  •  - "I, Alonso Villanueva, affirm that I completed my Independant Component which                       represents 30 hours of work."                                                                                                    -
  • A source that really helped me with my Independant Component was Teaching What               Really Happened: How To Avoid The Tyranny Of Textbooks And Get Students Excited           About Doing History By  Author James Loewen.                                                                         The Link to My Senior Project Hours Is To the Right                                                                 
  • For my Independent Component One I assisted my mentor with her teaching of lesson               plans over the course of the Quarter. I helped plan her lessons, assisted her with helping             the students with their classwork and in-class projects, helped her out with grading papers,         and sometimes I just sat at the back of the class and observed her class like I was a student         there to see how she brings life to the classroom and makes her History Class students               engaged and focused. 
  • Interpretive                                                                                                                                              
  • Once or twice a week for about 2 Hours I go to Walnut Grove Intermediate School in                 West Covina. This was the middle school I actually attended. At my mentorship I am                 Teacher Assistant for Britt Linke, she is the 8th Grade Honors Social Studies Teacher                 there. Over the course of these past two months I learned a lot about how a History                     Teacher can best effectively teach their class, it has been extremely helpful with my                   Senior Project. 
                              The Visitor Badge I am required to wear at all times when I check in at the                                                       Front Office of the middle school.


    Myself Taking Awkward Pictures of the Middle School I mentor at.
                                             This book was my go to and most helpful source in my project
  • Applied
             -Before this component, I had no idea how to even to teach in a classroom environment. Especially an American History one, since most of the people I know list History as one of their least favorite subjects. Through this component I learned how much work it takes to be a great teacher like my mentor, the amount of work she puts in to her lesson plans and projects is amazing. She ensures each one of the activities is fun while also teaching something related to the chapter the students are on, I learned what works best when getting your students engaged and focused on what you're teaching. One method that my mentor uses a lot is to get on the students level and be their "friend". Of course there is an exception to this, if you take it too far the students will just disregard your authority and not respect you as an instructor. I learned when its appropriate to be a teacher and a friend to the students when teaching American History.

No comments:

Post a Comment